Re[2]: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:29:11 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:16:20 +0200, Matthias Wilke
<Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> jammed all night, and by sunrise was
overheard remarking:

> >In a message dated 99-01-19 02:26:53 EST, you write:

> ><< > Zuiko 100-200mm f5, . . . This is a Zuiko S, with the plastic aperature
> >ring

> > Hum, the one I have here sure looks metal.  Perhaps a production variation.

> >I never noticed but mine's plastic as well.   SN 134098.  No brassing
> >though!!

Actually, I would have assumed mine was metal (SN 107902) but for a
scratch on it. If it were metal, it certainly would be down to the brass
(or aluminum) there. That got me to check it out, and in fact, it's
plastic.

> The use of plastic as aperture ring is very well done by Olympus.

Really nothing wrong with it. Since the finish is the same as it would
be for metal, it's not immediately obvious. And there's no special
reason an aperature ring needs to be made of brass. Good use of modern
plastics would yield a lens that's stronger and lighter than if it were
all brass. Bad use of plastics, though, and you'll have a lens that will
break when a brass lens wouldn't, or wear out prematurely. I have no
reason to believe Olympus has mis-applied the plastics here, but then
again, I haven't been using this lens for 30 years.

> I think plastic is
> not so bad as material, the main problem are screws in plastic. The non
> plasitc aperture rings of Zuiko lenses are made out of aluminium, not
> brass, the bayonets of the lenses are out of chromium plated brass.

Actually, that's chromium steel, isn't it. Extra hardness and all.
Aluminum is actually much like plastic in that it lends light weight when
used correctly, but can cause problems (binding, etc) if used in the
wrong placed.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One