Re: [OM] dark current

Subject: Re: [OM] dark current
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:16:25 +0100
> The OM-4 manual states an lowest EV of 0 for spot metering (with mirror)
and
> of EV -5 for OTF metering (exclusive mirror) at ASA100.

:Yes, and experience bears this out.  You must use OTF for the long
:exposures. Spot mode won't go much past a few seconds.

Well, not to my experience and certainly not according to the manuals. I
have both the OM-4 manual (languages English / German / French / Spanish)
and the OM-4Ti Black manual (English). Both agree that AE control by average
light has a range of 1 min.-1/2000 sec, whilst the AE exposure control by
*spot* measurement does the 'real thing': 4 min.-1/2000 sec. The manuals
disagree however in their EV data:

The OM-4 manual (page A-63) claims -5 EV ~ 19 EV for average light mode
and -7 EV ~ 19 EV for spot mode.
The OM-4Ti manual (page 130) claims +(sic!)5 EV ~ 19 EV for average light
mode and 0 EV ~ 19 EV for spot mode.

All data are given for 100 ASA with a 50/1.4 lens.
I believe the first one. It corresponds with the time values.
This is not the first time I've seen typos in the OM-4Ti manual. Check page
116 for the notorious Spacemen...

Hans