Plastic vs metal (was: Re[2]: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation)

Subject: Plastic vs metal (was: Re[2]: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:38:24 -0800
>> The use of plastic as aperture ring is very well done by Olympus.
>
>Really nothing wrong with it...

Well, plastic IS softer than metal, and WILL take dings and scratches
quicker. On the other hand, since plastic doesn't change color when it
wears, it might LOOK better.

I have well-worn lenses whene the aluminum ridges on the aperature ring are
worn rounded, and almost smooth on the front edge. I wonder if such a lens
would still even HAVE an aperature ring if it had been plastic -- or would
it have worn away completely! :-)

>> ... the bayonets of the lenses are out of chromium plated brass.
>
>Actually, that's chromium steel, isn't it...

All the well-worn Zuikos I know show a brassy color on the lens mount.
Perhaps Dave was referring to the camera mount, which I've never seen
"brassed," even though it should show MORE wear than the lens. (If one has
five lenses, and uses them all equally, the body should show five times the
wear as any one lens.)

It's a preference, and not worth starting a flame war over, but I
personally much prefer metal parts.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229