Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:53:21 EST
In a message dated 1/19/99 3:19:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  Finally, for all those that replied along the lines that
 "obviously this person didn't know anything about ergonomics if they
 thought that the OM-4 is un-ergonomic" don't know much about ergonomics
 themselves.  Ergonomics is not an exact science by any means.  What is
 perfectly ergonomic for me may not be ergonomic at all for you.  What
 designers strive for is a design that is ergonomic for the majority of
 users, but that is *no* guarantee that it is ergonomic for *everyone*.

Lee,
        I think in attempting to correct us for our criticism of his not
finding the
camera "ergonomic", you actually end up agreeing with us!   I agree with you
that ergonomics is not an exact science, it is an "applied science". and
according to my dictionary-  "concerned with designing things and arranging
things people use so that the people and things interact most efficiently and
safely."

Here, I think Olympus certainly succeeded.

I have been using the OM system since it's inception in the 1970's, just about
left it for the glamour of the autofocus "wonderbricks" and now have returned
home, and in all my experience it's been almost universally  praised for its
ergonomics by those who actually USE the system. I'm not talking about someone
who maybe holds a camera for a minute or two and passes judgement on it's
design. Soooo, if  F.E. truly believes the OM is an ergonomic disaster, that's
HIS opinion, and maybe the design doesn't suit HIM. We could say he's in a
VERY small minority, and as such is certainly entitled to his opinion, but NOT
correct in believing HE is the only one in the know, and everyone else is
blinded by our Zuikoholism, misled, crazy, or stupid, and his view must be THE
correct one. That's evidently how he came across to many of us, or there
wouldn't have been so many flames directed his way. His manner of speaking
down to us, on our home turf so to speak, is what got under some of our skin,
and earned him his flaming return mail, not OUR rudeness or misunderstanding
of his motives, as some "spinmeisters" would have you believe. I strongly
support his or any other's right to discuss their opinions in a friendly, non-
abrasive manner.

Regards,
George S.