[OM] did you know... (coating)

Subject: [OM] did you know... (coating)
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:10:43 +0200
Hi all,

did you know that coating of lenses has two further aspects. First the
coating makes it possible to use glass as front or rear element, which
would be to soft otherwise. This means, that the coating is much harder
than the glass and protects the glass against scratches. Second coatings
can be used for colour correction. I have heard, that this is the case with
the 24mm Zuiko Shift lens. The same technique as used for multi coating is
used for so called interference filters, which are the best filters if only
a special wavelength is requested. But you can design every kind of filter
with this technique (or even every kind of (semitransparent) mirrors), so
you can integrate a coating in a lens which corrects the spectral
translucence. It's interesting, that interference filters only last a few
years with their proper characteristics, I don't know how the multi
coatings of lenses alter with time.

Matthias