Re: [OM] New boy on the block

Subject: Re: [OM] New boy on the block
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:00:33 +0200
Garth wrote:

>>As I and James Olson have pointed out recently, the 50mm 1:3,5 is a
>>wonderful lens with very "plastic" results. Many list members would
>>mention, that the 90mm 1:2 macro or the 50mm 1:2 macro lenses are
>>superiour, but for me, the 1:3,5 is the favourite lens of all my Zuikos
>>(there are many).
>
>If by "plastic" you mean "has superior 'bokeh'," then I've gotta vote for
>my all-time favourite portrait lens, the Olympus Zuiko 100mm F/2.0.  The
>first time I saw portrait results from this lens wide open, I almost
>flipped!  (So did the friends whose portraits I took.)  Sharp as a tack
>portraits with a beautifully-rendered out-of-focus background like nothing
>I'd ever seen from my equipment before.
>
>One of the few times I'd ever felt like a "professional."

With the 50mm 1:3,5 macro I think it's not any fine bokeh, the absorbent
effect arises from parts of the pictures, which are in focus. But of
course, the 90mm 1:2 and the 100mm 1:2 are superb lenses. My private, I
think very OLD fashioned, two Pfennige worth opinion with lenses is the
following: If there are two lenses with EXACT the same state of correction
(the maximal aperture belongs to the correction) and the same precision of
manufacture, the lens with the fewer elements will procuce the more
absorbent results. The 3,5 macro has five, the 90mm nine and the 100mm
seven elements. I know that this is my very subjective opinion, but further
examples are the five element Rubinar, the four element Schneider Componar
80mm 1:4,5 ( = Meopta Anaret 80mm 1:4,5) enlarging lens (can be used
successfully for 6 point 6 macro), the five element 135mm macro bellows
head, the six element 80mm macro bellows head or the six element M42
Pancolar 80mm. In this connection it's interesting, that Contax/Zeiss
points out, that the Hologon 16mm 1:8 for the G series needs only five
elements in three groups. Retrofocus lenses of this focal length have
typically 9 - 12 elements. I don't know, if the few elements of the Hologon
help this lens in practice, but in principle it should be possible, that
this Hologon produces more absorbent pictures than normal retrofocus
extreme wide angles.

Matthias