Re: [OM] dark current

Subject: Re: [OM] dark current
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:58:25 -0800
On 20 Jan 99 at 20:38, gma wrote:

> > I believe the OM-4 and the OM-4Ti differ in the way they handle AE control
> > by average light when average light yields shutter speeds beyond the
> > measuring range of 1 minute. The OM-4 just locks up, no matter how many
> > light you add to the scene (flash, wide open aperture, point it to a light
> > source). Resetting is the only remedy. The 4Ti will free the mirrot and the
> > shutter after...probably 4 minutes?
>
> My 4T doesn't do this.  Depending on scene and aperture, I get varying
> shutter speeds - up to a maximum of close to 4 minutes.  Eg if F/2 gives
> me 1.5 mins, F/2.8 will go for 3 min.

Mine works well too. I have some moonlit shots on my web page taken with ISO
100, one at about 50 seconds in auto, another with +1 compensation for about
double the exposure time.

>  I think you were just lucky with these
> > night scenes in Auto mode w/o spot metering,
>
> Luck? I can always use some.  But this isn't luck - it's tecnnology.
> The 4T works great in averaging OTF mode for long exposures. I guarantee
> it.
Although I have not used it as much as the old OM-2 in low light, I have no
reason to suspect my 4T is any less capable at >60 sec Auto/OTF exposures.