Re: [OM] New boy on the block

Subject: Re: [OM] New boy on the block
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 00:57:27 +0200
Gary wrote:

>>With the 50mm 1:3,5 macro I think it's not any fine bokeh, the absorbent
>>effect arises from parts of the pictures, which are in focus.
>
>Matthias:
>
>When you use the English word "absorbent," or the English phrase
>"absorbent effect," is there a German word or phrase you have in mind?  I
>ask because I'm puzzled by your choice of words, and I can deal with a
>German expression (or if I can't, I have several friends from Germany who
>can banter with me about the meaning until I get a good feel for it).

Sorry, I meant "absorbing", which is used, according to my dictionary, in
the meaning of the German terms "fesselnd" or "packend". The problem with
such dictionaries is, that I often choose terms, which are not in use by
native speakers. With "absorbing" I mean that there seems to be no distance
between the subject of the slides and the viewer. Even with slides taken
with superb lenses like the 100mm 1:2, the 90mm 1:2 macro or the Xenotar,
the subjects often seem to keep a greater distance.

Matthias