[OM] Contrast vs Resolution

Subject: [OM] Contrast vs Resolution
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:57:43 +0000
Now that we have seen the results of Gary's wonderful selfless efforts I
thought I
would see what others value most in a lenses performance.

For me, contrast is possibly more important than absolute resolution, even
though
the latter seems to be the criteria most people seem to value the most.

Sometimes I wonder if my notion of contrast is technically correct or whether I
misunderstand the term.  I take contrast as a reference to a lenses ability to
render colour accurately.  A sort of dynamic range for rendering colour with a
high
contrast lens having the ability to render as distinct, very subtle differences
in
shading while at the same time being able to render heavily saturated colours.

Lower contrast lenses I take to be those which have a low colour dynamic range
which
do not render subtle shadings of colour well and which don't render very
saturated
colours accurately.

Does my notion of contrast match what others mean by the term?

Now Gary, if you could just try...

;-)

Giles