Re: [OM] OM telephotos.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM telephotos.
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:01:41 +0100
>>Oh, and yes, you've got hold the whole unit and squeeze it
>>gently while on a tripod, trying to use a cable release would mean severe
>>camerashake and disaster!

>I'm confused - I thought the whole point of a cable release was to
>avoid camera shake. Did I miss an important day in camera 101?

Right and wrong. Big and heavy telecombos tend to shake, at least if you
don't have a very heavy tripod (8-10 kg, ouch!) at rather high shutterspeeds
including 1/125. The best would of course be to tie the camera and lens with
a rope to a big tree or whatever. Not very practical, of course, so
squeezing it with all of your heart and body, hold your breath and gently,
gently fire away gives acceptable results, in say, 1-2 of 5 shots, for me
that is with the 600mm setting. Others may have greater success.
With increasing focal lengths, you really have to train and do a lot of
shooting. I still have a mental problem with anything over 420mm, then
fysics really start to work towards you.

For "normal" focal lengths (=much less weight and mass versus tripod weight)
the MLU routine and cable release is the correct approach. Anyway, how do
you squeeze an OM with 50/1.8?

Ulf Westerberg