[OM] coyote photography

Subject: [OM] coyote photography
From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:26:40 -0500
From: VirgilOM4T@xxxxxxx
Subject: [OM]Nature Photography Question
I have a question for any nature photographers on the list. There is a coyote
or two in my area and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on
how I can attract them into range of my 300mm f4.5 Zuiko? This is my first
real attempt at photographing wild animals, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
=======
 Greg:

You could collect a roadkill (deer, beaver, raccoon), put it out for your
coyotes and sit nearby in a blind.  Coyotes are extremely wary of humans so
your blind should be a perfect job of concealment.  I believe, they also
sell some scents in hunting shops that cover up your human smell.
 As for the photography, you may have to install one or two flashes near
your "bait" and be prepared to spend a night out there in the blind.
Attach the external power pack to your winder to guard against batttery
failure when things get exciting.  I would love to try the same procedure.
Details on baiting wildlife are in Bernd Heinrich's excellent book "Ravens
in winter" (also see article on ravens in the January 1999 National
Geographic Magazine).
Jan
Mammalogist, University of Vermont