[OM] Sigma 14mm/3.5

Subject: [OM] Sigma 14mm/3.5
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:25:58 -0800
I've had the Sigma 14mm/3.5 for several years. Mechanically, it's okay,
though like all Sigma Olympus-mount lenses, the aperture ring stinks. I
had to send it back to get it loosened up (as delivered, it's much too
stiff and clunky), which they did for free.

Optically... Well, I've never run lens tests, but it's always struck me
as less than "profoessionally" sharp and contrasty. The images just
don't knock your eyes out.

It's a really impressive chunk o' glass, though. The front element
bulges so much there's no way to mount a conventional filter. However,
there's a slotted holder on the back of the lens for gelatin filters,
plus a metal template for cutting the filter to the correct size.

Of course, Olympus makes nothing wider than 18mm, and there's a big
difference between 14mm and 18mm, so if you want something that wide,
there aren't many choices.