Re: [OM] Contrast vs Resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Contrast vs Resolution
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:50:10 -0800
I thought resolution and contrast were inter-related.  That is, for a given
contrast, resolution of different lenses could be compared.  If the contrast
changed, so did resolution.  Is this incorrect?

In the beginning, resolution and sharpness were everything to me.  It wasn't
until I learned some of the details of B&W printing I began to understand
the importance of contrast, which I've always considered to be the total
brightness range from the whitest highlight to the darkest shadow.  Colour
is not part of the definition.  Then I learned a little more and discovered
I could *control* contrast.  To me, a lens' contrast is at least as
important as pure resolution.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now that we have seen the results of Gary's wonderful selfless efforts I
thought I
would see what others value most in a lenses performance.

For me, contrast is possibly more important than absolute resolution, even
though
the latter seems to be the criteria most people seem to value the most.