Re: [OM] OT - Pancolar 80mm

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Pancolar 80mm
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 00:03:22 -0800
Matthias Wilke wrote:

>this week I bought a new (used) lens, and while it's not a Zuiko, I just
>wanted to say what an amazing lens it seems to be. It's a Carl-Zeiss-Jena
>(east) Pancolar 80mm 1:1,8 with M42 mount. Because there are no OM
>- M42 adaptors, which goes to infinity without an auxiliary lens, this
>message is somewhat off topic

Well, don't forget the Olympus FTL.  Even though John H. seems to have
only bad things to say about its repairability, I found out that any
camera repair shop that can competently repair Pentax Spotmatics, will
not shy away from the FTL's.  Spare parts may be a problem, but I've
been able to have a couple of FTL's fixed and CLA'ed _locally_, incl.
meters, shutter adjustments, etc. -- without much hesitation or any
complaints.  In good working condition, the FTL is a fine, fine camera.

There are several interesting alternatives to the above Pancolar --
all in M42 mount:

- Pentax Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9, or SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8
- Mamiya/Sekor 85mm f1.7, or the slower 85mm f2.8
- EBC Fujinon 85mm f4 "soft-focus"

All these have had numerous rave reviews, and are highly sought after.
I'm pretty sure there was also a fast Soligor 85mm f1.7, styled after
Minolta's similar and highly respected lens, but nowhere nearly as good.

Hey Matthias, if you find another bargain-priced Pancolar, pls keep
me in mind. :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA