Re: [OM] Recommended 2X converter for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Recommended 2X converter for OM
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 10:31:37 -0500
Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>FvL wrote:
>>Barry B. Bean wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to ad a 2x converter to my OM arsenal, but know next to
>>>nothing about them. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive 2X?
>>>Third party used is fine.
>
>>Some of the converters I have used (used prices between brackets):
>>
>>Best and most expensive: Zuiko 2x ($150-200)
>>Second best, less expensive: Tokina 7-element 2x ($40-60)
>>Not too bad, cheap: Vivitar 2x ($15-25)
>
>>Special, with macro facility and rather good: Vivitar 2x macro
>($40-60)
>
>>The Tokina is best 'value for money' for pictures which are not too
>>demanding, IMHO.

>I concur with FvL's recommendations, and would add only the
>following:
>Kiron 2X Match Mate (MC, 7-element)    -- $40-60
>Kiron 1.5X Match Mate (MC, ?-element)  -- $40-75
>Vivitar 1.5X (MC, 4-element)           -- $30-60
>Unlike OLy's own 1.4X-A, the latter two TC's have no protruding
>front elements, and hence can be used with any std. to tele lens.
>Both the 1.5X TC's work surprisingly well.

I have a Kenko MC7 2X Teleplus teleconverter which I used heavily last fall.
The Kenko teleconverter is available new from B&H at $99.95.

I used it with my 85mm/2.0 MC and my 135mm/3.5 lenses.  I have not tested the
results rigorously, but my first inspections have been satisfactory.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/

I don't have an Olympus version to compare to, but I would say the optical
quality should be comparable to the Tokina version.