[OM] Buy of the week

Subject: [OM] Buy of the week
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:02:09, -0500
I check a local pawn shop for Oly equipment every 2 or 3 weeks.
Friday I saw what looked like an Oly lens mount in a case full of
other make lenses.  When I asked, a 200/4 (silver ring) was pulled
out of the case.  This lens was marked $99.00 and was somewhere
around a 8 condition - scratched lens hood and black rubbed off the f-
stop ring.  I soon found out that the diaphragm wouldn't stop down.
Also the stop down lever sticking out the rear of the lens didn't do
anything and was loose - no spring tension.  I ended up talking them
down to $25.00, out the door.  After all, it was obviously broken,
even to the pawn shop owner.  (On the way home I got to worrying
about whether someone had removed the entire diaphragm!).

When I got home I removed the lens mount and found a jammed lever
that I removed, unjammed, and replaced.  Total time to repair: 15
minutes.   The glass cleaned up fine except for a few extremely fine
swirl marks that can only be seen with a magnifier and the proper
light.  There are bargains out there but it takes time to find them.

Tom