Re: [OM] Guess That Auction! [was: More eBay madness!]

Subject: Re: [OM] Guess That Auction! [was: More eBay madness!]
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:09:07 +0800
----------
> From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> To bring this back to OM: I was in HK from 4-16 July 1997. (I didn't even
> know I was going until noon on the 2nd.) I sure wish I had my OM-2 with
> me...both to capture the decorations that were still up (nearly all of
them)
> and to convey how little the place had changed, at least to my untutored
> eyes...if I hadn't known there'd been a handover, I'd never have guessed
it.
> There were protesters handing out antigovernment literature, and not only
> were they not being harassed, they weren't even being watched. Well, not
> overtly. At the time, there was a lawsuit going against the government,
and
> the new government was swearing on anything they could even halfway
consider
> holy that they'd abide strictly by the results and not try to influence
the
> process. (C.H., whatever happened to the kids with the right to live in
HK
> but who were there illegally? Did they finally have to get deported and
> re-enter, up to 3 years later?)

It was a bit regrettable that all the children have to go back to China,
queue up and wait for a few years before they can move to HK. But if the
children had win the lawsuit, there will be lots of children run to HK in a
short time, the social facility just can't handle them.

There are really many social problem created in these few years. When
people knew that there is chance that their wives and children in China can
apply to move to HK, thousands of men went to China and married there and
their children and wives have to wait for more than ten years before they
can move to HK. As there are many HK people working in China, some cases
also shown that some married people have a 2nd wife in China, which lead to
other social problems.

C.H.Ling