Re: [OM] Ultimate meter and class assignment.

Subject: Re: [OM] Ultimate meter and class assignment.
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:54:39 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Ken Norton wrote:
> What I'm getting at, is that we seem to park our brains when it comes to
> metering.  For instance, at high-noon and a bright sunny day we are
> pannicking because we can't seem to meter this landscape.  Instead of
> totally relying on the meter (and demanding ever-increasing complexity such
> as 3D color matrix), you should have a general idea of what the exposure
> should be--automatically.

   This is one of the first exercises I have had my students do. Think of
it this way...you've all seen "Moonrise over Hernandez", by Ansel Adams ?
He had no time to haul out the meter, and he exposed from experience.
That good-but-puny chip in the camera is a crude piece compared to the
one we all carry around between our shoulders. I could not agree more with
this one, Ken.

                                      *= Doris Fang =*