Re: [OM] Why do we need 14mm lenses?; Moon exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Why do we need 14mm lenses?; Moon exposure
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:36:55 EST
In a message dated 1/26/99 8:54:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jloudon@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm not sure NASA has ever sent any Leicas into space >>

Jim,
 I've found some info that somewhat answers my question:
page 150 of the book: "Leica the first 60 years" by G. Rogliatti, shows an M4
modified with huge shutter dial and wind knob. The text states: "The Space
Administration in the USA modified a number of cameras for Lunar use by
extending the controls for use with heavily gloved hands. As far is known,
LEICA's were not used on the Moon."
page 151  shows a photo of a NASA modified Leicaflex with a studded speed dial
for use while wearing gloves.
Both cameras appear to be well-worn. Perhaps they were extensively tested on
Earth, in Earth orbit, or whatever, and rejected for Lunar use. They are both
black, not white as I believe the Lunar Hasselblads were for heat reflection.

George S.