[OM] Bokeh questions.

Subject: [OM] Bokeh questions.
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:45:09 -0700
>> ["A Technical View of Bokeh"]

Some questions.

        What would be the bokeh "quotient" or figure(s) of merit applicable
to a perfect, i.e. idealized lense.  If aperture were perfect, i.e.
infinite number of shutter blades (or a fixed circular aperture), no wave
front distortion, no anomalous dispersion, no internal surface reflections
or losses (ideal coatings) and on and on, a PERFECT lense, one capable of
imaging an extended object with NO error, then what of bokeh?
        Would this produce perfect, i.e. idealized bokeh or possibly no
bokeh at all?  Is much of what we perceive as bokeh our aesthetic reaction
to discernible manifestations of various lense errors.  Lense design is
certainly an engineering compromise.  There are limits imposed by size,
weight, and cost of what people will want to buy or can.  There are limits
imposed by the state of the practice in lense design and manufacture.   And
finally there are limits imposed by the laws of physics (not subject to
compromise or  trade offs).  If a lense were limited only by the laws of
physics, then what of bokeh?
        Oly content:  (Oly lenses have bokeh, too.)

Patrick