[OM] Blad on the moon

Subject: [OM] Blad on the moon
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:05:28 -0700
>On the moon's surface, 'blads.  I don't know that NASA sent any other
>camera to the surface.

Uh, pardon me, but actually they did, even before Apollo. The Surveyor
spacecraft series, built at JPL, that were the first soft landing lunar
missions were sent to survey potential landing sites for the manned Apollo
landings.  The Surveyor space craft had, among its collection of cameras,
two cameras oriented straight up with tilt and swivel mirors gimbaled above
then in their optical axis so they could pan in two dimensions and allow
stereo pictures to be taken at various distances and directions from the
spacecraft.  One of the series that didn't get to go to the moon is hanging
in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.   Oh, did I forget to mention,
they were video cameras and my father-in-law designed the optics.

Patrick