Re: [OM] Measuring Battery Drain

Subject: Re: [OM] Measuring Battery Drain
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:24:27 +0000
I think you really need a digital multimeter for this one.  You are trying to
measure current draw rather than voltage so the unit of measurement is amps -
milli
amps and micro amps.

To measure the off state draw of a 4Ti you need a meter with a resolution of
milli amps as the 4Ti is supposed to draw less than 18.

To measure the on state draw of the 4Ti you need micro amps resolution.

To measure current draw the meter has to be in series in the circuit.  This
means
you have to remove the battery cover and one probe of the meter goes on the
top of the battery stack.  The other probe needs to contact the chasis or
ground.  I
find inserting it in the tripod socket works.  Set the shutter speed ring to
manual
60 or B to test the off state draw or set it to any other and activate the
meter to
measure th on state draw.

Giles