(OT) literacy (was: [OM] Decimate?)

Subject: (OT) literacy (was: [OM] Decimate?)
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:19:48 -0800
>>>I never cease to be amazed at the various uses of decimate.
>>
>>...let me add another
>>abomination to linguisitic misuse: substituting "alot" for "a lot,"
>How about your and you're?

When I worked at Tektronix, there was an ad on the bulletin board in the
cafeteria. It was obviously done with a computer layout program by someone
with no graphics arts training, and featured gaudy, bright, saturated
colors, including yellow text on a green background and red text on a blue
background. (It hurts my eyes just remembering...)

It featured a list of different computer training classes, under the bold,
all-upper-case, 24 point heading:

    IS YOUR CHILD COMPUTER ILLERATE???

I couldn't help myself. Below the list of classes for Word, Excel, Windows,
etc, I scrawled, "Coming soon!  Training on computerized spelling checking"

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229