[OM] 300mm/4.5 close range photos

Subject: [OM] 300mm/4.5 close range photos
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:19:06 EST
Has anyone tried to put a close up filter on the 300/.45?  I was at the local
bird zoo last week and this little red, yellow, green, and blue bird just
about walked up to me.  I couldn't back up any further because I would have
fallen in the pond.  By the time I got my extension tube out the bird wandered
into the bushes.

Anyway I was looking at the 2 element 72mm diopter filter made by Tokina for
their 80 to 400 mm zoom, which focuses to 8 feet.  It is supposed to extend
the focus range from 8 to about 5 feet and has about 1/ 4 diopter worth of
correction.  Has anyone used this diopter?  Canon has some 72mm 2 element
diopters but they are way too strong.  I actually own some single 72mm 1/4,
1/2 and 3/4 diopter Vivitars but haven't seen them for about 10 years
(practically lost.)  Does anyone have any experience with this type of filter
on the 300?

BTW, a local photo store has a set of 3 used Vivitar auto ext. tubes for $35,
if anyone is interested, contact me off line.

Warren Kato