Re: [OM] Tamron lenses, fast 135mm, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron lenses, fast 135mm, etc.
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:02:33 -0800
Alex SCIFI wrote:

>did anyone else make a first rate 180 to 200 in the OM mount?
>What about the Vivitar Series 1 200mm F3.0 or Anginiuex(?) optics?
>By first rate, I mean at least equal to the Olympus 180F2.8!

Both Tamron 180/f2.5 and Vivitar Series 1 200/f3 are first rate.
The Tamron has the advantage of ED glass and IF, but its rather
bulky lens hood is not built-in. (Vivitar's is!)

Both lenses focus closer than the corresponding Zuiko (4 ft vs 6 ft),
but not as close as the Sigma 180/f2.8, which alas only exists in AF :-(
I suspect the Angenieux was made only in LEI/R and N/AI mounts.

Rand E. Tomcala wrote:

>[Tamron is] still very active, good lens.  Try to get one in an Olympus
>mount, difficult ?  And, like I said, they don't seem to make Adaptall
>Mount versions anymore.  We are left "High and Dry" so to speak!

Actually, unlike Tokina Tamron is still quite active in manual focus
optics.  Admittedly, The Adaptall-2 lineup has shrunk somewhat, but
it's not dead yet, and the quality is pretty high.  Note that when
Tamron recently redesigned its 90mm macro, they released both AF and
MF versions.

Moreover, Tamron still offers Adaptall adapters for many cameras that
are long obsolete (Leicaflex SL, Rolleiflex 35, Fujica X, Fujica ST,
Konica AR, Mamiya ZE, etc.), and so I wouldn't worry about our OM's,
especially since OM bodies and lenses are still sold new.

With Tokinas almost gone and Vivitar withering on the vine, for us
Zuiks Tamron and Sigma are, sadly, almost "the only game in town".
Of the two, Tamron is probably the more reliable choice.  Besides,
Zuiks who are Tamron users must have noticed that these lenses have
the same rotational orientation of lens controls as our Zuikos, i.e.
focusing is CCW from min. distance to infinity, and aperture is CCW
from minimum (fully closed) to maximum (wide open) -- VERY CONVENIENT.

Finally, Alex SCIFI wrote:

>Are there any excellent FAST 135mm  lenses in OM mount?
>The only 2 I know of were the 135F2.3 Series 1 Vivatar and the
>Cambron 135F1.8. Any comments on the quality of these???
>By fast, I mean faster than 2.8!

Again, Tamron made an excellent 135/f2.5 lens, which is very similar
in size and features to Zuiko 135/f2.8, but focuses much closer and
takes 58mm filters.  The Vivitar Series 1 is a great lens, though
rather bulky.

Finally, the above Cambron is probably one of japanese-made generic
135/f1.8 lenses that sold here under a variety of brand names. I have
one labelled Spiratone (82mm filter size).  Optical quality is ok.

A better choice, IMHO, is the Sigmatel (Sigma) 135/f1.8 (77mm filter)
which has the so-called Y/S mount -- Sigma's failed attempt to compete
with Tamron in adaptable lens mounts.  I have the Sigmatel in OM mount.
It's big, heavy, partially MC, and very sharp.  It also works pretty
good combined with the Tokina RMC 2X TC.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx