Re: [OM] Zuiko Auto-T 350/2.8 "Black"???

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Auto-T 350/2.8 "Black"???
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:17:18 GMT
Cc: om4ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:41:44 -0500, Mark <om4ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Hans,
>   The big glass was originally offered in black. I am told that the
>switch to white was to reflect some of the suns energy when the lenses
>were used outdoors. That there was enough expansion to impede focusing.
>I do not know if this was the actual reason for the color change. At
>least 50 of the 350/2.8s were produced in the black finish. One was
>offered for sale some years ago, I think on this list or Compuserve. It
>ended up going out of the US to Frank over in NL.
>
>                               Mark

Yes Mark, you are quite right here. (it was rec.photo.marketplace
where it was advertized). When I bought and received it and opened the
giant aluminium box I was pleasantly surprised by the black color. I
was also surprised by the unexpected presence of a little (also black)
OM2 on the lens end and a tiny 1.4xA converter in between...!

I have never observed any trouble with expansion by heat of the sun -
but of course here in Holland the weather conditions are not among the
most extreme or adverse...

What makes you think that 'at least 50' of the black ones were
manufactured? Do you have an idea of the actual number? One of the
Briths mailing list members has the black 350mm too. I also have some
sales brochures which show pictures of the 350 and 250mm lenses in
black. AFAIK the 180mm/f2 has been made only in white.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.