[OM] Backdrops, Anyone??

Subject: [OM] Backdrops, Anyone??
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:35:27 -0800
>From: Scj9000@xxxxxxx
>
>... all i need is...
>
>a backdrop!!
>
>... Is canvas better than muslim??

Well, I think Canvas is as good as Muslim, Christianity, Zionism, although
I haven't been to a Canvas church in years... :-)

(It's "muslin." :-)

>Any comments?? Should i
>look for a used one?? Just want to take an occasional portrait of familyand
>friends....not to tie up a bundle into it.

How about a bed sheet? In fact, many are made out of muslin. If you want it
stiffer, to get large, wavy folds in it, try starching it or painting it.
If you don't already have one that's suitable, a new one is still probably
1/3rd the price of a photographer's back-drop.

About the only difference I can think of is the color selection and the
weight of the material.

Another suggestion: painter's drop-cloth. Although the cheap ones are
plastic these days, you can still get canvas ones. If you're so inclined,
you could then dye or paint it to suit.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229