Re: [OM] OT: List commerce and traffic; was Macro Items on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: List commerce and traffic; was Macro Items on ebay
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:55:42 -0500 (EST)
>  No it is not, it is service to other list members, like John
>  Gardner's recent public spirited generosity in finding a stash of OM2 motor
> drive
>  socket covers and a T32 calculator panel and offering them to those in need.
> >>

> I'm split on this. I don't think it is necessary to post to the list items
> seen on the internet, be it eBay, rec.photo.marketplace, or whatever. Even the
> big stores with web sites (KEH, B&H, etc...) Everyone here is capable of
> finding these things if we want.

For the usual run of the mill items I can see your reasoning for this,
however, for unusual and hard to find items I personally like to see them
posted to the list.  Sure, I could spend hours every week scanning all the
vendor web pages or digging through ebay and the usenet newgroups, and I
regularly do that when I'm looking for something that I need badly.
However, in most cases I have a wish list of items that I'm looking for and
if an opportunity arises to purchase an item at a good price, I'll jump on
it.  I've already purchsed several hard to find items from references that
were posted to this list.  Without those pointers I would never have made
contact with the seller.  I would like to see these pointers for rare and
difficult to find items continue, I see it as a service to the list.
                                -mark