Re: [OM] Flash Exposure Compensation?

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Exposure Compensation?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:01:21 +0100
Cam Bevis wrote:

: I have an OM-2S and a T-20 flash. With no compensation, my indoor pictures
:in dark places (restaurant/bars) make people's faces wash out, or leave
them
:with very little contrast at all.  I know my camera meter/OTF is working
:okay, because in regular light the pictures look great in AP and program.
:Short of going to manual, what is the last word on getting 1/2-1 stop less
:light output?  I'm really looking for a "focus and fire" approach, if there
:is one.

(..)
:If you all are understandably bored with this topic, please feel free to
:reply off-list.

You're not boring me. At least your mail didn't contain the word "ebay" :-)
Both TTL/OTF and Normal Auto Mode (computer flash) are based on surfaces
with average reflections (18 0rey) and rooms with average reflections. In
any other circumstance you must compensate. You compensate TTL/OTF flash
with the normal compensation dial; about 1 to 1.5 stop minus correction for
large dark places or backgrounds should do. You compensate Normal Auto by
selecting a different F-stop on the lens than the flash indicates (smaller
aperture for negative correction).
The GN of 20 may not seem much but indoors, used w/o a diffuser, directly
shot, it is a lot. At short distances (< 3 m.) an aperture of 8 is
recommended for films in the 100-400 ASA range.
Good luck with your wedding shots. If you're also shooting pics at daytime,
try some available light pics with fast film and lens.

Hans