Re: [OM] OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:13:53 +1100
Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I would love to see faster X-synch and easier fill flash (the
> OM-3Ti is the only OM that can do TTL fill flash easily).

It is a problem - really, 1/250 is required, yet so few cameras provide
it. OTOH the OM flash synch is not as bad as is often claimed. Although
nominally 1/60, the rear curtain closes as soon as the OTF has detected
correct exposure. This means that i. it has full-time "rear curtain
synch", which is a special mode on other brands, and ii. the actual
shutter open time is 1/100. (Source: Huber's book on OM-2SP.)

>  >... how lmany
>  >seconds does the viewfinder info stay visible?
>
>  <<Without looking in the manual, I'd say "long enough." My guess is 30
>  seconds. I rarely have it turn off in the middle of setting up a shot, or
>  if it does, I tap the shutter release and it comes back. No big thing.>>
>
> I think teh display stays on for 120 seconds after the shutter button is
> pushed. The backlight only goes on for 10 seconds, though (good for a battery
> standpoint, bad if you're trying to do multi spot metering in dark conditions)

If it's the same as the OM-4, not only does the display blank but the
state is reinitialized: it goes back to centre-weighted, throws away
all 8 spot readings, and cancels highlight/shadow. I have developed the
knack of gently nuzzling the cable release while setting up tripod
shots. It's peeving, since the camera has no off switch anyway and
could easily remember this stuff while simply blanking the LCD.

Jerry Dean wrote:

> Would you say that the only minuses to this camera would be the flash
> capabilities...

No, but if I repeated my criticism of the OM-4 here I'd just be flamed
to death again. You decide. The December 98 _Popular Photography_ has
a balanced review on p 113 (which I hadn't seen when I posted "be careful").

I own one because it can do stuff my other OM's can't. It has
a (spot only) exposure lock which works across exposures, useful for wildlife
photography. Like some other OM's, the exposure readings aren't affected
by stray light through the viewfinder. It can do low-light exposures
to 4 minutes, a minute more than the OM-2N. Not even the top Nikons
and Canons have the last two features.

Michael Covington says he can wear glasses with the OM-1 and OM-2 but
not the OM-4. Long-sighted lenses are a different shape, and I can't
wear them with *any* OM.