Re: [OM] OM 65/200 close focus vs. OM 50 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 65/200 close focus vs. OM 50 macro
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:07:54 EST
Gary R's reply to Olaf: (in part)
<< There is abundant evidence in published test reports that close focusing
 ability in zooms should just be considered a value added convenience.  By
 whatever image measuring standard was used, the results consistently fell way
 short of what one can obtain with a lens designed for macro use.  To me, this
 is so universal among zooms that it doesn't bear further scrutiny. >>

Olaf, before you write off the close focusing ability of "good" zooms as
inferior to true macro lenses, consider also that the zoom's close focusing
can be enhanced by the addition of special close-up lens additions and
extension tubes. Also the image results "you" may be seeking might not be the
flat field edge-to-edge tack sharpness the macros are best at. Remember why
you wanted the zoom in the first place, (convenience?). I find that I use the
zooms with close-up capabilities more that I do the true macros, (and I have
both 50mm & 90mm macros). I say just keep an open mind for what you truly want
to do with your camera.  -----  Regards,  Paul Connet