Re: [OM] OM-88 melting temperature

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-88 melting temperature
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:41:50 +0100
Nice story, Claes. Just be glad it was an OM-88, and not some modern plastic
wonderbrick, otherwise it really would have turned into a piece of art...

Your story reminds me of a hot summer day two years ago that ended with me
putting my OM-4 in the combi-magnetron (microwave) for a short time. Had I
become insane? Had another fuse in my head blown? Nope.
The day started so bright and sunny that I dared to mount just a Panagor
100-300/5.6 on my OM-4 and went on my way to the Amsterdam Vondelpark where
a Flamenco dance group was performing. But halfway the performance the sky
became black, the wind increased with the minute, and before we all knew
what was happening we were in the midst of a tropical storm and rain.
Pouring, pouring rain. Trees cracked like matches. And there I was. I didn't
wear a jacket, I didn't have a camera bag. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
On my way back home I saw a spectacular scenery of a fallen tree with a car
under it... Fortunately nobody was hurt. I took a couple of shots of it and
then the camera died. When I came home I noticed condense in the
viewfinder...
Well, a quarter in the pre-warmed (at body heat), shut-off microwave,
without lens, focusing screen or batteries, was enough to dry it and it
miraculously came back alive.

Maitre Hanz (also specialized in OM-4Ti Bourguignon & OM-3/Sauce
Hollandaise)