Re: [OM] Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:22:16 -0800
>From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>... The OM-4 lacks an exposure
>lock for centre-weighting...

Frank keeps saying this, when what he means is, "I don't like the way
center-weighted memory works on the OM-4T."

Press memory, do not press spot, take a shot, and the center-weighted
exposure is locked until you unlock it. This is not how Frank would like it
to work, but it does work.

It is perfectly intuitive to me, and I routinely use center-weighted
exposure lock on my OM-4Ts. It is true that you cannot freeze a
center-weighted reading without tripping the shutter. IMHO, that's a
feature, not a bug -- when I use it, I think to myself, "I want a series of
shots with the same exposure as this one," which saves a step over taking a
reading, freezing it, then shooting.

What Frank apparently wants is a "meter, lock, shoot" workflow. Fair
enough, the OM-4 doesn't do things that way, When all you have is a hammer,
all the world's a nail. I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with other
manufacturers' exposure lock, but I don't deny they have such a feature
because of my bias.

>... you are not locked
>into Olympus as I am...

I think several list members have generously offered to "unlock" you,
Frank, but what would you have to complain about then? :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229