[OM] Proposal: Monthly information message

Subject: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:04:44 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
Many lists out there send at some regular interval (eg monthly) a list
information message.  Typically these messages contain:

    * Location of the FAQ's, so new users avoid many commonly
      asked questions.

        * How to use the archives.

    * Unsubscription info.

    * Any "rules" for the list.

I think the reason we haven't had such a message here is that,
until the last year or so, we've been a pretty small group.  However,
recently I am noticing lots and lots of repeats of the following topics:

    * "What battery type should I use in my OM's?"

    * "How do I tell if my lenses are multicoated?"

    * "Where can I find lens tests for my lenses?"

All of these things are covered in the FAQs, and thus should *never*
have to be asked on the newsgroup again.  We should be able to move on
to more esoteric topics like "How can I fire 20 OM's at once, with a mix
of Winder 1's & 2's and MD 1's & 2's, assuming each body is driving a
mix of 9 T-20's and T-32's." ;)   Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the
discussions on the list, but it's becoming clear to me that many new
users are not reading the FAQ's first before asking questions (let alone
checking the archives).  This is perhaps because they don't know where
they are located.  A monthly information message would solve this problem.

Thus, I have a few questions:

        1) To the newer members of the list: would you have found such
           a message helpful?

        2) To the older members of the list: Would you find such a message,
           repeated periodically, more annoying that having people
           continually ask a question that has been beaten to death in
           the past?

        3) To Shawn: Would you be willing to send out such a message?

At the very least, I think a message such as this should be sent to
every new subscriber at the time they subscribe, with the advice that
they read it completely and have a look at the FAQ's and the archives
before asking what might turn out to be a question for which a large
body of information already exists.  We have determined that the 357
battery is the best battery to use in an OM.  Period.  Further
discussion on the list is not necessary :).

Cheers,
--Lee