Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message

Subject: Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:39:16 -0800
I'm in agreement with the principle Lee.  How to implement becomes the
question in my mind.  I reviewed the message delivered upon subscription to
the list (yes, I saved it - I'm such a packrat <g>) and do not see anything
that discusses the FAQ or any "rules" included.  Two things come to mind.
First, I believe the greatest value with the least fuss is to provide that
sort of information to the new suscribers, not repeat it to everyone every
month or so.  Secondly, any set of list nettiquite, manners and guidelines
(hereby to be known as "the Rules") should be reviewed and agreed to by the
group.  The Rules should certainly cover matters like please check the FAQ's
first, perhaps searching the archives, how to set various email clients to
text only, commercial solicitations, and the like.  This alone will generate
some controversy for sure.

By making it a part of the welcome message, the impact to Shawn is minimal,
I think, since it becomes automatic.  I'd not expect Shawn to create the
Rules.  Are you willing to draft a beta version of the Rules for review Lee?
I'm willing to spend the time to review and comment.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

R. Lee Hawkins <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> proposed: