RE: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message

Subject: RE: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:14:58 -0600
All,

I have a bit of a concern here.  While I'm in complete agreement that the
same topics get old after a while and that newbies should have FAQs, etc.
to answer the common questions, I'd suggest that you don't expect the
newbie questions to stop.  Slow down somewhat, but not stop.  The concern I
have is that we'll turn into OM Nazis, flaming anyone daring to ask a
question that might be found on a FAQ we've already pointed him/her to.
 This exact thing has happened on another listserv I belong to (George S.
might be familiar with it) dealing with the restoration of a certain type
of old sports car.  Anyone, newbie or not, asking a question that the list
gods don't feel is worth their time is flamed and told to do as much
exhaustive research as he can elsewhere to answer his question. The newbies
leave, don't come back, don't contribute their experience and knowledge to
the group, and we all lose.  The list gods are left to discuss obscure,
esoteric topics that no one but themselves care about or need.  I am not
inferring that this will happen on this list, but it _could_.  Personally,
I consider this and other listservs as my primary source of info about my
obsessions.  Yes, I have books and other resources, but posting a question
not only gives me answers from all of you, but I get differing viewpoints
and opinions as well.

My attitude has always been that if I'm tired of a topic or don't wish to
read a post, I simply hit the delete key.  We're in a society here, and
whether we like it or not, someone's always gonna pop up with "What's the
maximum flash sync speed on an OM1n?" or "What's the difference between an
OM4 and an OM4Ti?".  We can only filter our input and interactions so much
without living in a vacuum.  I wholeheartedly agree with a standard
"package" available to send to newbies containing all of the commonly asked
questions.  But the newbie questions aren't going to stop, and I don't feel
that anyone should be discouraged from asking them.

I'm volunteering to keep and maintain the "package", and will send it
promptly to anyone, newbie or not, asking what we consider rudimentary
questions.  I'll also answer his question in the same post if I can.  While
an extremely detailed world map is nice to have, sometimes we just need
help getting across the street...

Jes' my two cents worth!

Rgds,

Dave