[OM] Shoe 4 problem

Subject: [OM] Shoe 4 problem
From: Mike Bloor <mikbloor@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:55:18 GMT
John Petrush wrote

>My (new to me) used OM-1n arrived today, acquired from an unnamed online
>auction site in better than expected condition, save one small detail.  The
>ready light in the viewfinder does not operate.  I tried another, known
>good, shoe 4 and it worked correctly.  So now I know it is not the body.  I
>tried the questionable shoe on a known good body and, sure enough, no worky.
>Odd.  I measured the resistance between the pins that extend into the holes
>in the pentaprism to the pads on top of the shoe - zero resistance.  I also
>measured the length of the pins compared to the good shoe with a depth
>micrometer.  The good shoe's pins were actually a few thousandths of an inch
>*shorter*.  A surprise.  Then I found when I place the "bad" shoe on any
>body, mount the flash, and press up from the bottom of the flash, the ready
>light comes on as it should.  What's the deal?  Any insights are
>appreciated.

Does the bad shoe have cracks in it ?  In my experience, once a shoe is
cracked, it deforms as it is tightened onto the camera.  This means that not
only do the pins possibly extend into the camera more than they should, but
they also can make a different angle to the top plate to that for which they
were designed.

I don't know the internal layout of the OM1n/OM2n, but I suspect that this
can cause the pins not to make contact properly.  Pressing up the bottom of
the flash is probably changing the angle of the pins inside the camera and
restoring contact.

I also suspect that using cracked shoes may cause internal damage to the
camera which subsequently stops a new shoe working properly.  Perhaps
someone who knows the insides of these cameras can enlighten us ?

Mike Bloor
Seratel Ltd.
Mulrany, Westport,
Co. Mayo, Ireland.