[OM] Olympus class action

Subject: [OM] Olympus class action
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 06:15:22 -0800
"Olympus has a business to run. A business requires profit to survive.
If (when) Olympus decides the 35mm market no longer represents a
reasonable opportunity for profit, they _should_ get out. I understand
that, and accept the consequences sans remorse. Olympus owes me nothing.
We were square when the money left my hand and an OM (1n or 2n or 4T,
and someday hopefully a 3Ti) or Zuiko lens was lovingly held instead.
Litigation is not the answer. Litigation is for those unwilling to
accept the consequences for their own actions."

I'll bet you encourage drivers to bang into your car and people to drop
bricks on your feet. I feel sorry for you, because, like too many
people, you think that businesses exist ONLY for the purpose of making
money, and for NO OTHER reason.

Businesses don't need profits to survive. They need high-quality,
well-designed products that the public wants to own, _and_ good business
management. Given these, the profits will usually follow.

The problem is _not_ that OM products aren't selling well. The problem
is that Olympus doesn't give a damn. They haven't brought out a
fundamentally new camera body since the OM-3 and OM-4, they have refused
to broaden the system so that it might appeal to a wider range of
photographers (eg, a pro auto-focus body and lenses), and, worst of all,
they refuse to advertise the OM system -- to create the demand that's
needed to keep the system alive.

The decline of the OM system is _wholly_ the fault of Olympus. Had
Olympus fully supported the system, and had the decline still occurred,
I probably would _not_ written what I did. Under such conditions, I
_could_ accept the fact that the OM system had legitimately reached the
end of the road.

I don't understand why people are willing to let a manufacturer
deliberately throw a wonderful product into the garbage can, and then
say "Well, duh, it's all _my_ fault for choosing the wrong camera
system..."

I also strongly resent the suggestion that I sell my OM system and buy a
wonderbrick. These are precisely the cameras that you _won't_ be able to
get parts for even 5 years after they're discontinued.

Guys (and gals), Polaroid will repair or replace _any_ camera they made
that uses currently available Polaroid materials. Polaroid! Should we
expect less from Olympus? Or are they "above" having to provide
long-term customer satisfaction?