[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #755

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #755
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:23:11 -0500
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 01:02:37 PST you write:
>Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Proposal: Monthly information message
>
>On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:04:44 -0500, R. Lee Hawkins wrote:
>
>>      1) To the newer members of the list: would you have found such
>>         a message helpful?
>
>Potentially, but not if I had just come to the list specifically to
>ask that question. Despite the long standing advice to check the faq
>and archives on any list before posting, it is awfully convenient
>(and it works) to simply drop in and ask "What batteries doe my OM-1n
>need?"

In this case, I think our answers should be "check the faq", instead of
opening yet another discussion of a beat-to-death topic.

>>      2) To the older members of the list: Would you find such a message,
>>         repeated periodically, more annoying that having people
>>         continually ask a question that has been beaten to death in
>>         the past?
>
>I'm on several lists (cotton, saxophone, and harmonica) where I'm one
>of the more advanced subscribers, and offer more answers than
>questions. I don't mind the cyclical newbie questions, because they
>can often invite spinoff into a new discussion, or offer fresh
>perspectives. They also offer an opportunity for list members to get
>to know one  another and develop the list "personality."

I agree that this is true up to a point, but also think that even a 50%
reduction in the asking of repetitive questions would have an overall
positive effect on the list.

Cheers,
--Lee