Re: [OM] Olympus class action

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus class action
From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:08:32 +0200
John Petrush wrote:

> To be clear, I said "A business requires profit to survive."  I did **not**
> say "businesses exist ONLY for the purpose of making money, and for NO OTHER
> reason.", *you* did.  There is a substantial difference.  Don't see the
> difference?  Go to your corner video store and rent a Betamax tape.  Sony
> invented VHS, kept Beta for themselves, licensed VHS to Panasonic and
> others, then got clobbered in the marketplace when consumers chose VHS.
> Sony made great products, technically superior, at competitive prices.  But
> Sony saw the profit potential evaporate as customers consistently bought VHS
> machines and cassettes (analogous to camera and film).  They wisely got out
> of that market and concentrated on VHS machines  - analogous to Olympus
> getting out of 35mm and concentrating on P&S and digital).  Wanna take a
> shot at getting that 10 year old Beta VCR fixed.  LoLoL!!!  Let's take Sony
> to court over it.
>
> I stand by my asertion that litigation is not the answer.
>
> John P

Yes, but at some point, SONY made it clear it will no longer support the beta.
Olympus likes to play
games with us, and recently made a move with the OM2000.
Not the same situation at all. Of course, court cases and such are silly IMO.
Best way to get them? Just avoid buying from their new products. get a
different P&S or digital
camera. That *might* teach them a lesson.
Nikon is an example of a devoted camera, I mean they went from manual to AF
without even switching
bayonets...thats what I call supporting your cistomers.

Alexander