Re: [OM] Olympus class action

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus class action
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:18:09 -0500
<<I'll bet you encourage drivers to bang into your car and people to drop
bricks on your feet.>>

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

<< I feel sorry for you, because, like too many
people, you think that businesses exist ONLY for the purpose of making
money, and for NO OTHER reason.>>

Many do.

<<Businesses don't need profits to survive. They need high-quality,
well-designed products that the public wants to own, _and_ good business
management. Given these, the profits will usually follow.>>

Like pet rocks.

<<The problem is _not_ that OM products aren't selling well. The problem
is that Olympus doesn't give a damn.>>

I can see it now,  The Oly boys (and girls) sitting around reading our list
and laughing an evil laugh.

<< They haven't brought out a
fundamentally new camera body since the OM-3 and OM-4, they have refused
to broaden the system so that it might appeal to a wider range of
photographers (eg, a pro auto-focus body and lenses),

That would not be an OM.
Three letters, ZLR!

<<and, worst of all,
they refuse to advertise the OM system -- to create the demand that's
needed to keep the system alive.>>

It cost money to advertise.  And the Oly guys (and Girls) DON"T GIVE A
DAMN!!

<<The decline of the OM system is _wholly_ the fault of Olympus.>>

What about the changing market?

 <<Had Olympus fully supported the system, and had the decline still
occurred,
I probably would _not_ written what I did. Under such conditions, I
_could_ accept the fact that the OM system had legitimately reached the
end of the road.>>

They have supported the system.  you can go see what is for sale at B&H
photo.
I are not convinced they have reached the end of the road.
If I upgraded from my OM 1 and 2, (no "n" for new models)
to a 3Ti and 4Ti I would be making a giant personal leap into advanced
technology.
And I could get it today while still coupling it with all my 25 year old OM
system.
Full warranty included.  Not a close out sale as it sometimes comes across
from the retail community.

<<I don't understand why people are willing to let a manufacturer
deliberately throw a wonderful product into the garbage can, and then
say "Well, duh, it's all _my_ fault for choosing the wrong camera
system...">>

Only the manufacturer has control over what they manufacture.
And they are laughing the evil laugh.
I doubt that Oly has ever faulted anyone for buying an OM.

<<I also strongly resent the suggestion that I sell my OM system and buy a
wonderbrick. These are precisely the cameras that you _won't_ be able to
get parts for even 5 years after they're discontinued.>>

Or service from the manufacturer or an independent service person.

<<Guys (and gals), Polaroid will repair or replace _any_ camera they made
that uses currently available Polaroid materials. Polaroid! Should we
expect less from Olympus? Or are they "above" having to provide
long-term customer satisfaction?>>

No not above customer satisfaction.
Polaroid has a unique position.  they manufacture Polaroid instant photo
materials, which they alone have the patent on.
No one has exclusive rights to 35mm roll film.

Charles Loeven
cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
please don't sue me.  :-(