Re: [OM] Exposure memory and center weighted metering was: Olymp

Subject: Re: [OM] Exposure memory and center weighted metering was: Olymp
From: gma <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 16:25:50 -0800
At 04:43 PM 2/1/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I agree, but just for thought, here is what a Pentax list member says about
>spot metering: "Well, actually you can meter the spot you want only when its
>reflectance is 18ame as standard gray card - because the
>meter is so calibrated  And therein lies a huge problem. If the spot being
>read is not neutral gray, then your reading is guaranteed inacurate. I only
>know of one (well 2
>actually, one analog, the other digital) spotmeter that is colour linear.
>Let us use as an example, you are photographing a scene with a red barn, and
>blue sky. Maybe there is a field of green wheat in the forground. There are
>no neutral colours to meter. If your meter is a typical  cell, then it has a
>colour bias. It will not give an accurate reading of anything in the scene.
>That red barn will be out by 2 stops if you read it, the blue sky will be
>out by at least a stop, and the wheat field will also be inaccurately
>exposed.

So, in other words, meters are only good for black and white, eh? "The blue sky
will be out by at least one stop"??? Better tell John Shaw to stop recommending
we check our meters against "a clear North sky."  And red out by two stops?
How *did* I get all those red barn shots, anyway?

Do you have this persons e-mail address?

George