Re: [OM] Olympus class action

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus class action
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 12:53:30 +0000
William Sommerwick wrote:

>How many times do I have to repeat that the OM's decline is Olympus's
>fault?

None- it's incorrect.  The advent of good autofocus and well-spec'd compacts
caused the decline in sales of manual focus 35mm systems.  There's no point
berating Olympus for not investing large sums of money in a shrinking
market.  With two pro-spec SLRs and a large range of lenses still on sale
(and I refuse to speculate wildly about how long this will continue since it
is pointless), I think they're doing pretty well.

I'm fed up hearing "Oly should do this", "Oly should do that".  The odd
gripe is fair.  OTOH, continually whingeing about choosing a camera that
doesn't have things like AF, auto-bracketing and second-curtain 1/250th sec.
synch is just plain stupid.  If you have bought an OM-4Ti and then complain
it doesn't have such features and that the OM system hasn't really been
developed since 1983, then you're on the wrong horse.

If the products and service Olympus provide are so bad, then feel free to
sell your OM gear and unsubscribe.  Please let's crack on with something
more interesting.

Simon E.