[OM] Tamron 400/4 from MXV in UK

Subject: [OM] Tamron 400/4 from MXV in UK
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:20:46 +0100
Hi all

Well, finally got my package and just wrapped up my new (for me, that is)
Tamron 400/4 with 1.4X converter.
My bird photography has to a large extent been on a hold, having
concentrated on scenics and landscapes. But this lens will certainly change
that!

Reasons for choosing this lens, you may ask?
I've been making due with the Zuiko 300/4.5 + 1.4X, which is a very good
alternative on sunny or almost sunny day. Picture quality is very good, and
IMO fair with the with 300+2X combo as well. But you need a very steady
hand, the difference seems to be 1/2 stop (not 1/3 as calculated) from my
old Sigma 400/5.6 and it often seemed that half stop was badly needed.

So I started to look into the Canon EOS line and it's stabilizing 300/4
lens. I finally decided that I can't live with a EOS wonderbrick, no offence
anyone, but we are just not compatible!

What I had in mind was the Nikon 400/3.5 lens, a absolutely wonderful piece
of glass, no autofocus, I know, but very good quality even with converters.
This lens is widely used among Swedish bird photographers, more so than any
other.
Problem for me was of course it didn't mate with my OM's. Olympus never
entered this market seriously and only alternative is of course the Zuiko
350/2.8. Yes, most certainly this lens would give any Nikon a match, but
this lens is so scarce I sometimes wonder if it exist (or is it just a
hoax?). I don't think there is anyone at all here in Scandinavia, let alone
anyone for sale. To bring one from US would cost more than a fortune as I
would have to pay 50 0.000000e+00xtra in taxes (yes, 50%). But the final kill
to the
Zuiko was it's main drawback, it's weight. With 4 kg's this lens is heavier
than Nikon's AF 500/4 (3.3 kg) and of course even more than the Nikon
400/3.5. In fact, a 400/4 (or 3.5) is a perfect compromise between size and
max aperture. This is also the reason IMO Swedens best birdphotographer
changed from Olympus to Nikon (400/3.5), he had the 350/2.8 in his hands but
thought it was just plain to heavy.

But not that many brands of 400/4 lenses have been made. Of course there are
the 300/2.8's which can be augmented with 1.4x and 2x converters. But any
400/4 with 1.4x (560/5.6) will deliver superior results to the 300/2.8 with
2X. This is a no-brainer, and as I already have an excellent 300mm lens
(Zuiko!), my choice was the Tamron 400/4. OK, I don't have a 300/2.8, but
the Zuiko serves me just fine.

The various Tamron threads the latest time have certainly interested me,
came in quite handy.

The Tamron 400/4 is a most unusual lens here in Sweden. I've never sen
anyone at all for sale, they were only made a brief period in the 90's
beginnings, contrary to the Tamron 300/2.8 which has seen a few
incarnations.

I got very much help in my decision from another member (or ex-member, are
you still out there, Gary F?) who previously has owned the Zuiko 350/2.8 and
now uses the Tamron. I've looked at lens tests from every known place in
universe, and they pretty much all say the same: This is a VERY good lens
which can deliver extraordinary results! It compares favourably, both in
size and performance to the Nikon 400/3.5, but to a much more modest price.

That I can mate it with my OM's is of course an extraordinary advantage, I
can use my favourite camera, the OM4. The Adaptall mount system is a
fantastic concept which guarentees this investment for almost any time.
(BTW, I got one good and one bad adapter.)

When one specimen popped up at MXV's site at an normal price, including the
matched 1.4x converter and aluminium case, I decided to jump. Today it
arrived, looking exactly as the salesman had described it. MXV seem to be a
reputable place to deal with. And the best thing is of course, I don't have
to pay any taxes at all as GB and Sweden are part of the same Great European
family, EEC. So a higher-priced item from Britain or any other EEC country
costs me considerably less than a cheap from US. That's just the way it is!

I can't wait 'til the weekend to try it out, it sure is exciting! I'll
probably use the 560/5.6 setting most, this for birds mainly. Watch out red
kites!

I'll post my impressions of field use later.

Sorry for the length of this,

Cheers all
Ulf Westerberg