Re: [OM] Olympus class action

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus class action
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 17:24:20 -0600
David Brown wrote through half open eyes thanks to infant induced insomnia:
>I have owned Olympus OM cameras for about 18 years since I bought my first
>OM2N. For the next 15 years I managed with two bodies and three lenses.
>I think Olympus has stood by its users more than any other system
>manufacturer - I don't feel they really owe me anything. I made an educated
>and researched choice and I have never doubted it.

Well put, David.  When settling a system product of any kind a person
weighs the pros and cons of the leading products in that category for the
intended purpose.  If somebody were to start assembling a camera system
today, I'd have to recommend Canon or Nikon as they have the most "current"
products available.  15 years ago, Olympus was right in the thick of it,
and so was Pentax and Minalta.  What happened?  Bad marketing decisions and
a lack of product focus.  If Olympus had stuck with AF and fleshed it out a
bit they could have remained competitive and current, but they kept
introducing AF and power-focus cameras that really stunk up the place.  Had
they produced a body with basic functionality (like manual exposures, etc)
they would have sold much better andwould have been truely part of the OM
system.  Sad part of this is that the dealers were telling Olympus at the
time that an all-auto SLR with no manual overrides was a big mistake, but
Olympus absolutely wouldn't listen to the dealers and still doesn't.  They
have this primadonna attitude that the dealers are brain-dead boneheads
(and in some cases, correct) and aren't worthy of listening to at all.
Excuse me for being blunt, but any company that has this type of attitude
deserves to go out of business.  There are too many companies that do care
to excuse those who don't.

>BTW, I have been missing for a week or so and came to this thread late - I
>am now (eventually, 15 days late!) the proud father of my second, a sister
>for my son. No on-list congratulations expected please!

Tough, take my on-list congratulations anyway.  Congratulations.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx