Re: [OM] Repaired Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Repaired Lenses
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:07:25 GMT
On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 20:08:37 -0800, bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have an opportunity to buy a 35-70  3.6. The catch is the lens, although
>mint otherwise, has been damaged on the filter ring. There was enough
>impact that the face plate (where it says Oly etc) ispopped out slightly.
>Now the lens is going in for repair to a local shop who have an excellent
>reputation and who give a 6 month warranty with their repairs. Based on
>previous experience they won't take a job on unless they can repair it
>properly.
>
>My questions are:
>       1) repaired vs never damaged - how much impact on pricing?
>       2) Can a lens with a pretty serious knock be repaired to "as new"?
>       3) Price on this one - repaired - will be about $200 Cndn
>
>Your comments please
>Barry

1) You will never be able to tell if a used lens has been repaired
before (unless in special a case like yours). If the repair is done
properly it has no impact on the price. CLA-ing done at the same time
will more than compensate for the (virtual) decrease in value, I would
say.

2) Depends... and is up to qualified repair persons to decide upon.

3) This is a very good price - repaired or not, as long as the
condition at the moment of purchase is excellent or better.
The Unofficial Olympus OM Zuiko Lens Page
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
quotes US$175-369 for this lens (used).

Good luck with your purchase.

Frank van Lindert