Re: [OM] OM4i exposure memory?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4i exposure memory?
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:39:17 EST
In a message dated 2/3/99 10:25:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I am reading the following from a 4T brochure...Or if you want to lock
 in an exposure value, push the lever the other way to activate the
 exposure memory. This memory lasts for about an hour unless canceled,
 giving you plenty of time to take a sequence of shots. It allows you to
 change shutter speeds freely, adjusting the aperture for the right
 exposure and depth of field while maintaining the correct exposure.
 This sounds a lot like the shiftable program mode in my Elan IIe, am I
 reading this correctly?  Thanks

 Jerry Dean >>

Jerry,

Kinda sorta. All aperture priority cameras will do this - select for you an
appropriate shutter speed based on the aperture, film speed, and light
measurement. All other automatic OM's (OM-2(n), OM-10, OM-20/G, OM-30/F,
OM-40/PC) do this as well - change the aperture and the shutter speed changes
accordingly. What the OM-4(T(i)) adds is the ability to memorize the reading
and take multiple frames exposed identically, even if conditions change (for
example, a big white bus drives by behind your subject, which would alter a
non-memorized meter reading).

I don't own an Elan IIE, but I would guess that the shiftable program mode
works with a real-time light meter reading. I would think if you wanted to
memorize a reading you would need to press one of those buttons-that-all-look-
alike.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI