Re: [OM] Something Funny going on..

Subject: Re: [OM] Something Funny going on..
From: Larry Rymal <lrymal@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:57:32 -0600
On 2/3/99 11:01 AM, RK wrote:

>Just today, I was haggling for a mint condition OM1 (softly,softly..) and
>will close the deal tomorrow. I
>have a shopping list lined up that should leave me comfortably in debt
>for, umm, 17 years at least.
>Also, I haven't had this much fun from photography in decades!

Same here.  I just purchased a Nikon Pronea S mainly for quick action
photos and for the fact it can take regular Nikon D AF lenses and I enjoy
dabbling around with APS stuff.

But, I just finished replacing my 1975 model OM-1.  The replacement OM-1
is pristine, mint, and after taking purchase of some mercury 625s, in
perfect working order.  I have a wide-angle lens, a 1.8 50mm, and a 275mm
telephoto.  All the lenses are from my college days in the 70s and work
still.  They look and feel new.

I strayed away from film photography a few years ago, using nothing but
digital stuff at work.  But after watching a film scanner work during a
trade show last year, I am migrating back to film, both 35mm and APS.

This is fun---not cheap, but fun.  I have really had a blast pulling the
OM-1 and lenses out of a box where they rested for a decade, dormant.
The poor old thing was battle-scarred from a four year assignment
overseas during the early 80s.  The lenses are in perfect order,
cosmetically, and optic-wise.  After replacing a light seal on the
replacement OM-1 in the back, it is honestly like a new OM-1.  REAL
metal, whirring gear sounds at 1/2 second exposure, whirring gears at
timed exposure.  Folks stare at it during no-flash, low light photo ops.
;>)

Anyway..., enough ramble.  I didn't know others were going through this.

--Larry