[OM] miscellaneous thoughts

Subject: [OM] miscellaneous thoughts
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:09:43 +0200
Hi all,

after reading the last discussions, I thought the following:

-Olympus as a leading microscope manufacturer must offer a 35mm body to
attach to their own microscopes (imagine they sell microscopes and say, you
have to attach a, say Nikon body). Specialized bodies only for attaching to
microscopes are much more expensive than even an OM-3Ti.

-Olympus users maybe have a strong tendency also to collect OM equipment
and are very careful with their equipment (me too, in opposite, have you
ever tried to find a mint Canon FTb, it seems to be almost impossible).

-the percentage of third party lenses bought by Olympus users is smaller
than with other brands, as a dealer sometime told to me. One reason may be,
that the OM-users were always very satisfied with the Zuiko lenses and
wanted to buy esthetical satisfying equipment. On the other hand, in this
way the prices for second hand third party lenses for OM (at least here in
Germany) are very low. So it is possible to buy for example a Tokina AT-X
35-70 1:2,8 for 95 US dollar, and it's a very good lens.

-why do so many photographers fear to mix different brands in their
equipment ? In my opinion, it's a possibility to enlarge the opportunity to
find interesting used equipment. Imagine what cheap and very good offerings
are around for M42 (for example the Russian fisheye Zenitar 16mm 1:2,8,
with a fisheye, you will unlikely use other "equipment" than a body, like
for example flashes and so on).

-I think, that there will not be a further increase of prices for Zuiko
lenses other than the natural creeping inflation, so the imagination, that
there will be no decreasing of the value is wrong. For real collector
items, many Zuiko lenses are to numerous. On the other hand, some (the 90mm
or 24mm shift for example) are maybe seldom enough to become collector
items.

-your photo of the lake-mirrored moutain is very fine, Alexander, and the
Fuji Velvia is a miraculous film, isn't it ?

-with Contax lenses I have heard, that availability is often a more
theoretical term, but I'm not sure what's about the availability of al the
listed Zuikos.

-something I've forgotten...

Matthias