[OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring

Subject: [OM] Four Years & A Rubber Ring
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 99 22:13:39 -0800
Forgive me for I have sinned -- it has been four years since my last
posting to the Olympus list. I lost the list when it moved from the old
iastate.edu address and just recently found you folks again. Goodness,
there are more of you than there used to be! A few questions and comments:

1) Has Olympus become a hot collectible item in the past 4 years that
I've not been paying attention? I compared going prices on eBay and it
appears that prices are about 40 0gher than average Shutterbug prices
of 4 years ago. That seems a considerable jump to me. Or is that just the
"miracle" of eBay?

2) It amuses me that after 4 years, the "imminent demise of the OM"
thread is still going.

3) A sad story -- thought I'd pick up another Zuiko today, the 35-70
f/3.6 zoom. Seemed reasonable for $225 U.S., the proprietor of the camera
store told me it was "minty." When I got there, I saw a lens with mint
glass, near-mint body, and what looked like a blown-out tire for the
rubber focus and zoom rings. That's right, the rubber rings were
perforated, slashed, and hanging together like a deteriorated rubber
band, although the 'diamond points' of the rubber focus ring were still
sharp from lack of use. I did not buy it. But still, I wonder, is this
the future for every Zuiko lens? Is it inevitable that the rubber
focus/zoom rings will deteriorate and fall off all our beloved lenses?
(Are there replacements?) What would cause this rapid rubber
deterioration, when the rest of the lens looked great? What can be done
to keep the rubber in good shape? I certainly don't want the rest of my
collection looking like THAT, if at all possible.

Well, it's good to be back, and good to have found you people again. Long
Live Olympus.